You may not realise it but you have been comparing yourself to others your entire life. We compare ourselves with those who have more accomplishments, more money, seem more attractive, a bigger house, a better car, realationship, or more social popularity! Comparing ourselves to others only creates negative feelings which can lead to low self esteem. If comparing is how you evaluate your worth you will always be losing!
I first became aware of my comparing habits when I started going to yoga classes and during the class instead of focusing on my own practice, I would look around the room at others, who had a better body, who was more flexible, who could do advanced postures. And I would end up feeling low and disappointed with myself, feeling that I was not as good as everyone else. But as soon as I became aware of this and I began focusing on my own practice and realised that no 2 people are the same, we all have different experiences in life, unique personalities, bodies, gifts and talents. As soon as I realised this it was then that my personal practice began to flourish and I aslo began to use this in my daily life!
We all do it and there is no shame in it but why do compare?
We do this to make evaluations about ourselves. These evaluations are not correct beacause what people present to the world is usually an edited version of their reality. I mean I for one usually post all my highs on social media, if im having a shit day and feeling really crapy I never post about that. We we constantly compare ourselves to others we waste precious energy focusing on other peoples lives instead of out own.
Part of what makes life so interesting and amazing is that there are all kinds of people with all kinds of talents. Instead of trying to be as good as or better than others, try to be the best version of yourself. Your gifts and talents and achievements and value are completely unique to you and your purpose in the world so they can never be truly compared to somebody else.
How to stop comparing:
- Become aware of your comparing and remind yourself of why you are doing it and the effects it has on you.
- Know your own value and worth, know that you are enough and focus on your own life, unique talents and achieving your own goals.
- Express gratitude for your life and recognize all the good things you have in the world, we are very lucky really.
- Instead of comparing find inspiration and learn from others.
- Compare with yourself – we are always striving to be the best version of ourselves. Take care of yourself physically, mentally and spiritually and watch yourself learn and grow. And be proud of all the little achievements you make along the way.
Lots of love