Earth day – a day to celebrate this beautiful earth that we live in and raise awareness about pollution.
I think its so important to understand that the harm we inflict on our surrounding environment will eventually hurt us.
I’m sharing this post about plastic pollution as its something I have become increasingly aware of lately especially living here in china! It makes me so sad to see what we are doing to our earth and we need to act now.
Here are some facts about plastic pollution:
- Over the last ten years we have produced more plastic than during the whole of the last century.
- 1 million plastic bags are used every minute!
- 50 percent of the plastic we use, we use just once and throw away.
- It takes 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade.
- Plastic constitutes approximately 90 percent of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile.
- One million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- Plastic chemicals can be absorbed by the body and have harmful effects.
Here are some tips you can use to reduce your plastic consumption:
- Choose reusable items – cloth bags for shopping, metal or glass reusable bottles and take a re-usable cup to get your coffee or smoothie!
- Refuse single use plastic items that we simply do not need – straws, excess packaging, sandwich bags, cling film, plastic forks and knives. You can carry your own utensils in your bag and pack your own lunch!
- Opt for loose items when grocery shopping and use your own bags. Honestly it is ridiculous that to buy a piece of fruit or veg you also need a plastic tray covered in a plastic film which if you read the label is actually not even a form of recyclable plastic!
- Buy in bulk – a lot of plastic waste is generated in the kitchen so buying in bulk is one of the best and easiest ways to reduce packaging waste and it probably works out cheaper in the long run too!
- Recycle – If you must use plastic, try to choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags and polystyrene foam as both typically have very low recycling rates.
- Make your own cosmetic products – you can make your own toothpaste, facemasks, cleanser, soap and cleaning products. Its fun, healthier and you will reduce the amount of plastic containers you throw away. If you need to buy, try to opt for those I a glass jar rather that a plastic tube!
- Spread the message with your friends and family – share tips on how we can reduce plastic waste.
We must learn to treat the world we live in with the same love and care that we would like to be treated with. This year I am making a conscious effort to reduce my carbon footprint and I want learn more ways in which I can care for our earth and live a more sustainable life, who’s with me?
Do it for our planet, do it for you, for our kids, for our future generation.
We can heal the world but it starts with you!
Lots of love