Who can practice yoga?
There is one simple answer: EVERYONE!
Social media has a massive effect on how yoga is perceived by the public. On Instagram especially, yoga gets portrayed as glamorous, sexy gymnastics!
These posts emphasise the physical practice but what people are missing is the deep philosophical, mind, body healing and spiritual nature of yoga. They focus on difficult poses that are unattainable for most people. This can be intimidating and daunting to anyone wanting to start yoga!
I have often heard people say that they don’t have the right body for yoga or they are not flexible enough.
Let me tell you do not have to be anything to practice yoga, you just have to be. That is all.
Yoga is connection. Connecting with yourself, bringing awareness to yourself and into your life. Its your own personal journey.
So if you are new to yoga, or already practising here is some advice for you:
- Never compare yourself to anybody else, your mind and body are unique to you.
- Forget about trying to get into advanced poses this is not the goal! Work with your body whatever stage you are at now.
- Awareness is key – not only being aware of your body but of your mind, your actions and reactions too.
- Always practice with love and kindness towards yourself – don’t get frustrated with yourself if you cant do something, just pause, breathe and send love to the area you are working on.
- It is better to fully understand one pose than to do 10 poses without understanding them so take your time in each pose.
- Remember that we all need to start somewhere , relax and enjoy the journey.
Lots of love